Tuesday, August 09, 2005

SUICIDE BOMBERS PAINED AND EMOTIONAL

Australian London bombing victim, Media Studies Professor John Tulloch, is convinced the attacks were motivated by events in Iraq:
"When I got the force of that explosion and lay in hospital in pain for many days, I was getting just a touch of that sense and emotion and feeling and pain that these people have to face every day."

What I'm saying is that Iraq is not simply something that happened that generates terrorists, it's a whole rhetorical set of meanings that won't go away - the Prime Minister may want us to move on, it's too symbolic - it's deep in our consciousness.
Tulloch was badly injured in the blast and has yet to return to work. Yet he has experienced but a "touch" of the pain and emotion that motivated his attackers. The best I can work out, the pain and emotion experienced by his attackers was all in their heads. What makes people like Tulloch so keen to rationalize the acts of thugs?

4 Comments:

Anonymous The_Real_JeffS said...

The best guess I can make, JF, is an advanced case of self-hate.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Keith said...

masochism?

11:13 AM  
Anonymous The Brute said...

The only pain and hate I could envision, is me inflicting some of it myself on the bastard that blew me up. But then again, that doesn't get to the 'root cause' of their pain, does it? Would he be so forgiving of someone who raped and killed one of his family?

7:22 PM  
Anonymous captainD said...

This is called "identification with the aggressor". It is typical of the left who in my view suffer from unacknowledged anger, hence their capacity to misread almost all situations. People like Tulloch just cant deal with their own anger to the much simpler truth: they are victims of the same people who causes they have promoted.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home