Monday, January 02, 2006

MONEY UP IN SMOKE

I probably shouldn't admit it but I really enjoy smoking. Yeah, I know it's bad for me, makes me stink and makes other people sick and contributes to global warming, but I enjoy it. Now it emerges I'm costing taxpayers money:
New figures show smoking is responsible for almost 300,000 hospital visits each year, at a cost of almost $700 million.
The best I can figure that leaves the government over $4 billion in front:
Revenue attributable to tobacco products collected by the Australian Tax Office’s (ATO’s) Excise Business Line (EBL) in 2000–01 totalled A$4.8 billion, ($5.09 billion estimated for 2003-04) which accounted for 24 per cent of total excise collections in that year.
I blame Kerry Packer.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Pat Patterson said...

Smokers indeed are an unhealthy lot, so unhealthy that they usually don't live long enough to recoup their taxes paid for smoking. The insurance and health actuarial tables love smokers, so that the money can be paid out in dividends.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home