Wednesday, March 29, 2006

NEW ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER LOOMS

Ornithologist Heidi Auman says Brisbane's seagulls are getting fat because they're eating too much human food:
These birds here in Hobart have higher cholesterol and higher glucose in their blood than my control birds from the Flinders Island group. And these birds here are significantly heavier.
How does she know what they eat?
The foods that I do know they're eating, and I know this because they regurgitate on me as I'm taking blood samples, tend to be a lot of meat products like mince and cooked chicken, dog food and cat food, sometimes they're still in the little shape of fish for the cat food, and casserole and things of that nature, and a lot of chips.
Wonder if she can get the regurgitation bit past peer review?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home