Sunday, August 06, 2006

UNTRUTH IN ADVERTISING

Sky News recently interviewed (dial-up here) journalist and author Antony Loewenstein as part of a story about an upsurge in anti-Jew violence in Australia. Sky's research staff didn't put too much effort into vetting Loewenstein's credentials; if they had, he wouldn't have been on the show.

It must have been a bit of a shock for the presenter to have to be corrected by Loewenstein when she referred to him as "very moderate" with an "Israeli background". Loewenstein didn't correct the "very moderate" bit but did correct the "Israeli background" error, saying "I'm a, I'm a, I'm just a... I'm born in Melbourne but I'm an Australian citizen but I have a lot of interest in the subject. I am. I've written quite a lot about the Middle East conflict..."

Later in the interview Loewenstein revealed how he stays so well informed on events in the Middle East: "I've been reading..." Wow, I'm full of opinions and read a lot, maybe I can get on TV. Nah, first I'd have to write a book and then get someone to rewrite it for me.

While we're on the subject of Loewenstein's book, the only recently set up My Israel Question site prominently features a counter that showed 137,432 visitors as of my visit. The counter, actually for antonyloewenstein.com and displaying hits going back to April 2005, has been placed in the middle of the book's homepage to make it appear people have been flocking to the site. This is pretty tricky stuff from someone who's so consistently critical of the supposedly misleading information cranked out by the media.

Update: It's only natural for new author Loewenstein to be making the rounds promoting his new book. But, oddly, he doesn't often make reference to the bulk of the writing he actually writes, his blog.

It's probably just coincidental that his blog's search function doesn't work and his current site's archives aren't displayed on the blog homepage. Hey, it's not like there's stuff in there he's trying to hide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home