Gum chewed, face gone
"A loud pop was heard from the student's room," a city police chief aide told ukranews.com.
"When his relatives entered the room they saw that the lower part of the young man's face had been blown off."
The man was studying at Ukraine’s Kiev Polytechnic Institute and was known for his habit of dipping chewing in citric acid.
Ria Novosti reports police found both citric acid packets and “some kind of explosive material” on a table in his parents’s room.
They believe he may have confused the two packets, dipping the gum into the explosive material rather than the citric acid.
Doesn't everyone keep an open bottle of nitroglycerin handy just in case of an explosive emergency?