India's fear factor games
The Commonwealth Games, hosted this year for the first time ever by India and due to begin in Delhi on October 3, are beset by a host of problems:
- serious security concerns;
- a collapsed pedestrian bridge;
- a partially collapsed ceiling at a sports venue;
- an outbreak of dengue fever;
- allegations of substandard hygiene, including stray faeces at the athletes' quarters.
With the opening ceremonies rapidly approaching it looks like the Delhi games will be one of the greatest sporting fiascos ever.