Thursday, August 10, 2006

ZIONIST TOOL

With the number of Antony Loewenstein posts I've written it's obvious I have this "thing" for the guy. So, what gives?

Before getting into my motivations a bit of background is in order. In the south Texas ethnic German enclave where I grew up in the 1950s Jews were, to say the least, rarely encountered. My paternal grandmother, a tough and outspoken woman, was of the "Hitler had the right idea" school of thought. My parents weren't nearly so bigoted but did subscribe to the Jews-are-money-hungry stereotype. As far as I know not one of my primary and high school classmates was Jewish. The same goes for the period I was at university. I did, however, get to know a Jew who turned out to be a very nice guy who just happened to be doing his basic military training at the same time as me. At the moment I can't think of a single Jew I know personally. I get neither assistance – financial or otherwise – nor encouragement from any Jews or Jewish groups.

I blog Loewenstein for the same reason I blog Tim Lambert: they're both attention seeking self-styled experts who more often than not write nonsense that begs to be challenged. Both of them ban me commenting at their sites so I can either ignore their drivel or post on it here.

In criticising the stuff they write I'm not suggesting their stuff shouldn't be read: on the contrary, I want as many people as possible to read them. No one with any sense will be persuaded.

Take a Loewenstein post from today as an example. He puts his impressive journalistic skills to full use in researching and then slamming foreign members of the IDF:
When a dual Australian national was recently killed in Lebanon fighting for the IDF, he was virtually hailed a hero by Foreign Minister Alexander Downer. While his death was tragic, he was fighting illegally in a sovereign nation. He had no right to be there.
Loewenstein probably knows no more about the soldier in question – Sydney man Assaf Namer – than I do but since he was a member of the baby-killing IDF Loewenstein assumes he can't be a hero. As for Downer hailing Namer, here's the whole of his comment in the linked article:
"He was in the last month of his national service, so it's particularly sad circumstances surrounding his death," Mr Downer said in Kuala Lumpur.
Did Loewenstein intentionally mischaracterize Downer's comment or is he incapable of reading a short news item and drawing appropriate conclusions? Who cares, either way he's got nothing to say that I need to hear. But I'm going to keep on reading his stuff; it's very entertaining. Oh yeah, buy Ant's book... and give it to someone you hate.

Update: David Marr speaking at My Israel Question's Sydney launch:
Lowenstein’s verdict – if I’ve got him right – is that the lobbyists of Australia are rougher than any in the world.
Yep, with Ant it's often impossible to tell exactly what he's on about. Marr also has something to say about those Jewish-only Israeli roads:
Antony has been pilloried over the last few weeks for referring to “Jewish roads” in the occupied territories. Well that’s what Jews call them too. And, sure, Israeli Arabs can use those roads as well. But this is just a barrage of flak to keep the public from the point that matters here: Israel is building roads across the occupied territories that Palestinians can’t use.
The fact may be wrong but Ant's still right. Ant is loath to admit he's wrong on this so he is now resorting to slippery language:
As a human being first and a Jew second, I can’t fully support an alleged democracy that occupies another’s land, builds roads specifically for Jewish settlers, erects roadblocks that prevents pregnant Palestinian women giving birth in local hospitals, allows settlers to destroy Palestinian olive groves without sanction and imposes apartheid-like restrictions on movement between towns and villages. I’ve seen much of this with my own eyes.
Loewenstein's trying to establish himself as a credible source but he isn't going to make it. Quantity is no substitute for quality.

Update II: His book is flying off the shelves so quickly a second printing is in order but Ant's begging for cash:
Independent journalism takes time and effort. It also requires money. Every now and then, I ask readers of this site and my work to consider whether they’d be able to contribute financially. Any donations would assist in the further running of my blog, book writing and freelance work.
Keeping himself outfitted in velour jackets can't be cheap.

Update III: Ant's also begging people to attend next week's Macquarie book launch:
Ignore the [August 11] RSVP date on the flyer above. If you missed the recent sell-out at Gleebooks in Sydney, this will be a wonderful opportunity to hear the book’s issues discussed.
People paid money to hear Loewenstein talk?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Six Fingers Louis said...

"If you missed the recent sell-out at Gleebooks in Sydney"

Snicker.

Wembley Stadium it aint.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home