Chinese youth wastes time, grades suffer
The Beijing News quotes a young student lamenting a precipitous decline in his academic achievement:
In the past, when I was in middle school, I used to get grades that were good enough to enter a really good university.
It is because of the influence of heroin that I was only able to go to junior college.
The quote above has been edited with heroin replacing the grade-destroying influence actually cited by the student.
So, to what does this youngster attribute his performance decline?
- too much time spent watching the Beijing Olympics on TV
- too much time watching TV in general
- a demanding girlfriend/boyfriend
- an American "muscle car" obsession
- time devoted to his role as a Wikipedia editor
- a growing addiction to body modification
- environmental activism
That last one is basically correct in that the young fellow spent way too much time looking at "pornography on the internet". Surely that would be great preparation for a career in gynaecology or perhaps proctology.