Thursday, July 20, 2006

TERROR SUPPORTER LOATH TO ADMIT IT

Journalist and author Antony Loewenstein is a vocal advocate of those killing American imperial aggressors in Iraq. It therefore seems reasonable to assume he also supports the courageous Hezbollah fighters resisting Israeli aggression. When called on this Loewenstein goes all indignant but doesn't deny it:
I mean to suggest that I'm pro-Hezbollah because I question civilians being murdered is the kind of rhetoric that we expect from the pro-Israeli lobby. "You are either with us or against us." The Lapkins and their cronies, their world view very much is the George Bush view of the world - you are either with us and "us" being this sort of emorphis definition of the West, which is we invade, we occupy, we continually bombard or them which supposedly is terrorists. I mean, in the latest edition of Quadrant magazine, Mr Lapkin accuses me essentially of being no better than Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Now, that kind of rhetoric, that kind of extremism, which AIJAC unfortunately is very much a part of, means any kind of debate is next to impossible. But, more importantly, it leaves the sense of people who actually understand what that kind of language is about, that to suggest that an individual who questions Western policies, US policies, Israeli policies, is no better than a Hamas militant or a Hezbollah militant is ridiculous.
With bullshit laden non-anaswer answers like that, this guy has a future in politics. Loewenstein's answer is equally evasive when it's put to him that his forthcoming book questions Israel's right to exist:
What I'm questioning in my book is quite simple. I'm simply saying when Israel was formed after the war, which was a lot to do with European Holocaust guilt, was talking about that it was formed on the back of another people. In other words, Jews had history on that land. No one is questioning that and I haven't questioned that in my Israel question. What I have questioned, however, is the way in which Israel was essentially formed on the back of another people. So, in other words, Palestinians who had been living there for generations were told to leave. There's an argument - the issue about what happened in 1948 we could argue about indefinitely, but my point is that I am not saying that Israel was formed in sin. My point is that ideology, which is the right to a Jewish homeland for Jewish people is formed and has become a perversion of what it maybe once was because it has allowed an occupation to continue for nearly 40 years.
Reading the Lateline transcript has confirmed some things about Loewenstein I've been thinking for a while. He writes like he speaks like he thinks, fucked up.

3 Comments:

Anonymous SC said...

I think you forgot to link to the Lateline transcript...

11:25 PM  
Anonymous J F Beck said...

Thanks, Leigh. Fixed.

11:30 PM  
Anonymous Barrie said...

"this guy has a future in politics" A dangerous suggestion. Bob Brown can't go on forever talking nonsense under wet cement -
I mean, wet compost.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home