Saturday, July 03, 2010

Soccer snobs

Millions daily tune in to the spectacle that is the World Cup but I, like Theodore Dalrymple, could not care less:



On the subject of football, I am a snob. I do not detest the game as such, for I accept that it can be played with skill and achieve a kind of beauty, but rather the excessive importance attached to it by millions and hundreds of millions of my fellow beings. Try as I might to expunge the thought from my mind that this enthusiasm is a manifestation of human stupidity, I cannot.
 
Of course, we are all of us snobbish about something or other; the important thing is to control ourselves and not express our snobbery openly, so that we do not give offence by it. I am therefore always careful to disguise my contempt for enthusiasm for football from enthusiasts. Besides, if I were to reveal it, they might hit me.



The French debacle, however, was very entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home